Monday, April 14, 2014

2 months

    Happy 2 months to Baby A! He is now another month older and has changed so much. He currently weighs 11 1/2 lbs and is about 24 inches long. He is wearing 3 month clothes, in fact I boxed up the last of his newborn clothing last week. He grew out of the majority of his newborn clothes around 6 weeks. His current skills are smiling (which melts my heart), focusing on an object, holding his head up for several seconds to a minute, and he is starting to find his hands. It's so fun and amazing watching him as he hits these milestones. He is also going about 3-4 hours between feedings during the day and 4-6 hours at night. This was a game changer because I now can get a little more sleep! Here are his 2 month photos:




  Not only have we learned more about Baby A this last month but we have also figured out some of our favorite and not so favorite baby gear. Before Baby A was born we bought up anything and everything we thought we would need. A lot of things we have really enjoyed and some things we wished we would have not gotten. Here's my list of favorites:

1. Swaddleme blankets or similar blankets: Baby A loves being swaddled and we enjoy the Swaddleme summer infant swaddle blankets. What we like most about them is the Velcro closure. The way the blanket is designed allows you to change a diaper without having to undo the blanket fully. You simply pull down the pouch change the diaper and Velcro it back. We also like that the blanket is thin but warm. Since our house stays around 70 degrees, the thicker blankets seem to be too warm. So we dress Baby A in a long sleeve or sometimes a short sleeve onsie and then swaddle him. The halo sleep sacks aren't bad either but you do have to undo the whole blanket to change a diaper.

2. Medela Swing pump: The decision on which pump to buy was a big one for us. Not only did I not want to spend the money for a nice pump, I also didn't know what kind to get. I originally thought about getting a manual one and thank goodness I got that thought out of my head! I ended up buying the Medela swing pump. It's a single pump, usually around $169. I am so glad I got this electric pump. It's easy to use, on the cheaper side (pump wise), and it works great! I only pump once or twice a day and this pump has met my needs. It can be used with batteries or it can be plugged into the wall. I use batteries since we are in Italy so that I don't have to use a transformer to pump. The batteries last about a week or a little more when using it everyday. It is also good speed wise. It usually only takes me about 20-30 minutes to pump the amount I need.

3. Graco Comfy Cove Swing: we were given this swing by someone we didn't even know. I found it on the local yard sale site. It has been the best find! At first Baby A was not a huge fan but when we found the perfect combination of speed and sound he now prefers to be in there instead of my arms, at times. Our swing can sit up or recline. Baby A seems to enjoy being reclined the most but I imagine he will like sitting up when he's older. I also like the swing because even in the recline position he is still at an incline, which helps the little bit of reflux he has.

4. A good stroller: We registered for and received a Phil & Teds double stroller. So far we have used it about 20 times and love it! We like that it reclines for smaller babies and then sits up for when they're older. We can also stick another (older) kid underneath, so someday Baby A will have to give up his up top seat for his brother or sister. We especially like that the tires are big and heavy duty so it can almost go anywhere. We have pushed it through gravel, through grass and mud, and uphill on a cobblestone street. It pushes and moves so smoothly that D and I sometimes squabble over who gets to push the stroller. I imagine the cute baby inside is also the reason. ;)

5. First Years co-sleeper pod: We had no intention of Baby A sleeping in bed with us.....EVER but Baby A obviously had other plans. So he sleeps in between us in a co-sleeper pod. It is truly the only way he and I get sleep. It has been a great solution because when he gets fussy I can just pat him on his chest and he goes right back to sleep. I also like being able to see him at all times. I think the next time we will get the Within Arms Reach bedside sleeper. We were told to this time but we didn't listen, lesson learned.

6. Nikon 3100: or just a nice camera. We got one the Christmas before Baby A was born just so we could take photos of our baby who didn't even exist yet. I literally have this camera out everyday. It's worth the money!

7. Wubanub: We gave Baby A a pacifier the week he came home from the hospital. He loves to pacify and if I would let him he would do so on (and has) me for hours. We have tried several pacifiers and he didn't like any of them. Finally at the suggestion of someone else we bought the wubanub. He likes it (notice I didn't say "love", it still doesn't compare to mom) and we are buying a back up because we are constantly in fear of loosing the wub.

Here are my not so favorite baby items:

1. Elastic bottom sleepers: I had a lot of these and did not like them a bit. I didn't like them because we swaddle Baby A and it would be too warm for him. We couldn't use them if he wanted to be in the bouncer, car seat or swing. Plus, he kicks around so much the his legs and feet would always be cold. I prefer sleepers with snaps.

2. Graco Pack n Play: hopefully this will come into use when he gets older but as it sits now, Baby A dislikes his pack n play so much. We decided to get one because it seemed to be an "all in one" type of thing plus we are moving soon so we didn't need a crib. I dislike the bassinet, I think it's too big for a newborn baby plus it is kind of flimsy. My husband had to cut out a special piece of cardboard to put underneath the mattress pad so that it would fit correctly. I think the ones that come with the nap pod would have been a better choice. Or a separate bassinet. Or just let him sleep next to you in a co-sleeper (guilty).


 Baby A is constantly changing and we are so thankful to be his parents. Each day we get to spend with him is so wonderful. We look forward to all the changes we will endure within the next several months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.