Dave and I are going into our second month of marriage, tomorrow is actually our one month anniversary. I am pretty excited about this but he just sees it as another day, typical man. For normal couples the first month is filled with adjusting to being married, learning how to share a home together and many other things. Our first month was filled with getting through Christmas without going crazy, a thousands sheets of paperwork and appointments and him leaving to go back to Italy. I have yet to get over there and therefore week three and four of our marriage have been spent, yet again, 5,000 miles away. How have I not lost my mind yet because of this arrangement, Dave and I practice decent communication.
Communication was one of the main topics in all of the pre-marital discussions we had because we KNEW it was critical in our marriage. Without communication you feel left out, alone and like everything is going wrong, I know because I have had these feelings. I would get so irritated if Dave got out of work later than the expected 5pm and wouldn't let me know he had to stay late. He didn't know this because when I get irritated I tend to close up and not tell him why I am upset. Therefore what we have been working on is our communication between each other. It hasn't been easy but I can honestly say it has gotten so much better. We have finally set a daily time to Skype. I know exactly when to be home ( at noon which is 7pm his time) whereas before I would wait around not knowing when to be expecting him, which left a lot of errands incomplete and scheduling appointments a hassle. So far it has worked out really well, his work has only gotten in the way twice so far because of travel. I think that when two people are away both parties feel like they need to compensate for the distance and in a way it's true. My favorite thing to do is just turn our Skype on and sit with each other and do regular things. It makes it feel like he's actually here, but without the mess that comes with him ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.