Wednesday, October 17, 2012

German adventures

 At this point I have made it almost half way! I can hardly believe it, the time has  truly flown by. I am so happy to be able to say this and to think that I just have a few more months. For the last month I have spent my time taking a couple of trips up to Germany. This was my first time in this country and I really enjoyed all it had to offer. I am proud to say that as it stands right now I will have visited 3 countries without my husband. I hope to get a couple more by the time he gets home.
 So now for my German adventures, the first trip I took was to a Spouses retreat to Edelweiss resort in Garmisch, Germany. This resort, owned by the Army, is spectacular. The view is beautiful and this was the first time during the whole deployment that I could truly relax. This trip was a complete blessing and I am so thankful for programs such as the Strong Bonds program that allows spouses to do such things while without their husbands.
  Germany is beautiful, the low hanging clouds on a cool rainy day screams fall. There's a certain beauty to those days, perfect for a cup of tea or coffee. During this short 3 day trip we visited Linderhof Palace. The palace and grounds were wonderful. My favorite part had to be the Grotto. 





    I didn't get to take pictures of the inside because it was prohibited. The inside of the palace was very unique, my favorite room was a room of mirrors. This mirror room was set up so that the reflection of the mirrors kept reflecting off one another which created an illusion of an endless room, it was really interesting! Sadly I had to leave this trip and come home but just for a couple of weeks because I soon returned.


  My second trip to Germany was to cheer on some friends who were running the Munich Half Marathon. I really enjoy traveling with these girls and I have to say congratulations to them because they finished this 13.1 mile run in amazing time! It was such a treat to get to watch these ladies and I am very thankful that they were so willing to let me do so! As for Munich, it is a nice town. Most of our time was spent getting the ladies ready for their marathon but I was able to snap a couple of pictures. The Glockenspiel clock was beautiful and every hour during the day it chimes a wonderful melody. The clock also has moving pieces, something I have never seen on a clock this big before!


  Like I mentioned earlier I went solely to watch these ladies run their marathon. Their final lap was inside of the 1972 Olympic stadium, how cool is that? Not many people can say they completed their half marathon within an Olympic stadium! 

 This trip was really fun and luckily there was something in store for me too. Not only did I get some Christmas shopping and winter clothes shopping done but I also got to see SNOW! Now if you know me really well then you know that I am a fanatic about snow. My husband, well he could live the rest of his life without seeing snow. I guess that happens when you grow up in Michigan but us southerners aren't too experienced with snow. Coming from Germany you have to drive through Brenner Pass which is located in the Alps. The day we drove up from Italy it was lush and green, the day we drove down back to Italy it was a winter wonderland. 


   
 Overall Germany is probably my second most favorite country. Switzerland is still number one, despite the crazy expensive prices. Germany is just amazing, from the food to the beautiful dark wood A-frame houses/buildings. There's just something about that country that makes me want to live there forever. I still have a lot to look forward to throughout these next few months. My wonderful brother will be here November 7th and we have a whole travel plan mapped out. 
 So for now that's my latest adventure. As for an update on my husband, he is doing well. He makes me so proud everyday with all he has endured these past few months. I cannot wait for the day that I get to be in his arms again and I get to travel with him again :) I love you Dave 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.