As I sit here writing this I am reminded of the quiet that I have endured for the past 8 months (Dave is on his way to his first day of reintegration). Two nights ago I was blessed to welcome him home from 8 months in Afghanistan. 8 months doesn't seem like too long of a time, especially since deployments used to be 15 months or 12 months but when you are separated from the love of your life even a day seems like forever. However, we got through it and I must say we kicked this deployments butt!
July 9th, 2012 was the worst day I've ever experienced. I watched my husband walk out of our apartment building wearing his newly issued Multi-Cam uniform to begin his deployment. I decided to not go see him off for many reasons but mainly because I just couldn't do it and I didn't want him to have to focus on me while preparing his guys. I was so scared to live on my own in Italy, I was scared something would happen to him and I was just scared in general. However, the Lord blessed me with an amazing group of friends who surrounded me and each other in love, friendship and fun. Through the thick and thin we banded together and got each other through it. I was able to experience so many things with these ladies. Trips to Germany, Prague, Christmas Markets, Thanksgiving in Italy, Christmas in Italy with my army family, New Years, car break downs, Rear-D casualty calls, growing in the Lord, and so many other things. These ladies were truly a blessing.
On Friday, March 1st, 2013 I got to welcome home my husband. As I waited anxiously to see my husband my dear friends yet again surrounded me with love and comfort. We waited in the Post gym for 2 hours while the guys were en route to Caserma Ederle from Aviano. As soon as I heard "The Boys are Back in Town" my heart skipped a beat (because that was the signal they were filing into the gym!) and as I searched the line of soldiers I couldn't find my husband. I started to panic a bit and my heart started pounding so fast I thought it was going to beat out of my chest. Finally, just a few soldiers from the end, my husband appeared! I started crying at the sight of him. He was HOME! Unscathed from his 3rd deployment to Afghanistan. The 5 minutes of prayer and welcome home speech seemed like eternity but finally, FINALLY we were released to our soldiers. I'm not sure what happened after that because I ran (possibly pushing others out of the way :/) and leaped into the arms of my love. Seeing his beautiful brown eyes again was the biggest blessing I've received in my life. And now we finally get to start our lives together without having a time clock ticking down to our separation from each other. We got through it and came out on the other side a lot stronger. Welcoming home a soldier is definitely the coolest experience. I've always heard wives say "That Welcome Home kiss is definitely worth it" and I thought they were crazy. BUT it truly, 100% is worth it and I am amazed at how awesome this experience was!
Finally, I have to say thank you to everyone who helped us through this time. My family, Dave's family and our friends helped out in every way possible. I am so thankful for and blessed by every single one of you. Ok so time for some pictures! :)
Welcome Home love, I am overjoyed to wake up to you every morning, to see your smile in person and those beautiful brown eyes that makes my heart melt. I LOVE YOU!
"Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience." James 1:3



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.