Thursday, May 30, 2013

30 Days of Bliss

  Wow, it has taken me some time to get this post written. To be honest, since my husband has been home our lives have been one big whirlwind. I am certainly not complaining because having him home is the best but these past few months have gone by at lightening speed. So finally here is the scoop on our 30 day post deployment block leave:
   Husband and I got to spend a whole 30 days together in May! I had been waiting for these 30 days since finding out when it would take place, which was last September. Our original plan (last September) was a trip through Thailand because we are determined to visit an Asian country together, however our plans were replaced with a trip to the United States because of an amazing miracle, the birth of our triplet nieces! We enjoyed our trip to the US thoroughly because it had been 11 months and 26 days (nope not counting at all haha) since being on US soil and when you go without the conveniences that America so abundantly provides, well..... you start to miss things.....A lot! Luckily we were able to spend 1 week in Tennessee and 1 week in Michigan along with a quick trip to Kos, Greece beforehand.Yea....we were exhausted. Our time in the States was wonderfully packed with time spent with family and friends and our trip to Greece was fantastic. Overall, we had such an eventful and wonderful time on leave.
   Our first adventure was Kos, Greece! This island is beautiful and very cheap! We enjoyed getting some time together alone on the beach soaking up some rays. This island is also really close to Turkey and in fact you can see it from the beach and our hotel room. We desperately wanted to go on a tour but unfortunately it didn't work out. Anyways, here are some pictures. The quality is poor because we traveled out of our backpacks and a huge camera wouldn't fit but at least we remembered to capture a few pictures! :)

  
Not sure why the picture is distorted but anyways, breakfast in Greece equals amazing! Sadly I didn't get a picture of the GIANT doughnut we ate the day before.


I had to add this because he's so handsome :) And I am blessed to have him as my husband.

This is the view from our hotel room. This is the harbor of Kos and some surrounding islands. Every morning we woke up to boat horns and church bells, it might not sound relaxing but it was!

I matched the umbrella, definitely unintentional. haha It was still a bit cool with the breeze so that's why I am wearing my cardigan.



These ruins were scattered all over Kos. It was quite interesting to read about them.


That's Turkey!! We so badly wanted to visit, just to say we have. Maybe in the future!
 
 
     After our quick trip to Kos we flew to the United States! We were home in Italy for 1 day and quickly had to repack, do laundry and get things together for our 2 week trip to Michigan and Tennessee. We might have been a little crazy for scheduling the two trips so close together but it worked out great! We flew into Detroit and spent 2 days in Michigan at Dave's parents and then drove down to Tennessee to see my family and friends. Seeing my family after a year was amazing. It's shocking how much changes in a year, there were so many new places and buildings that have come about. After our short week in Tennessee we drove back to Michigan for Dave's family. On our way we stopped at Mammoth Cave National Park, it was an unplanned adventure but Dave asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday and I truly couldn't think of a better way to spend it than in a quiet National park touring caves and enjoying some hiking with my handsome husband. So we did just that and I have to recommend going because it was so relaxing, cheap and fun! Also on our journey back to Commerce we stopped to enjoy some time with our newly born triplet nieces and Dave's sister. These three little girls melted our hearts and it was such a blessing to be able to see them, hold them and even feed them. And finally, we were able to spend another few days in Michigan before heading home to Italy. This was special for so many reasons but specifically because Dave was able to spend his 26th birthday (4 years until 30!) with his parents and brother. He hasn't gotten to do so since joining the Army, so it was such a special treat. After 2 weeks in the States we had to say "See you later" and journey back to our home. It's still strange to call Italy our "home" but it is, for another year at least. Here are some photos from our trip to the US:
 
Again, not sure why this photo is distored but here is Dave feeding April.

He's a natural ;)

So for Dave's birthday we went to a Lions/Braves game! It was pure luck that the Lions were playing my favorite team.


I loved Mammoth Cave, it was so fun touring the caves.

 
 
 
So there you have it, our wonderful 30 days together which was was the best 30 days ever! I loved having Dave home and spending so much time with him. So much that I cried on his first day back to work because I missed having him around all day. Thankfully though, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon! Praise the Lord! :)
 
 

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.